- 45 ml olive oil
- 1 kg boneless skinless chicken, cut into bite size chunks (e.g. thighs)
- salt & pepper
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) smoked paprika
- 2 cups (500 ml) chicken stock
- 4 cups (1 liter) milk
- 500 g uncooked pasta (preferably bite size shapes like rigatoni)
- 400 g broccoli, cut into bite size chunks
- 2 cups grated mature cheese (e.g. cheddar)
- about 1 cup small croutons*, for serving (optional)
In a 30cm Le Creuset Signature Round Casserole over high heat, heat the oil and add the chicken. Fry for a few minutes until brown, stirring. Season with salt, pepper and smoked paprika.
Turn the heat down and remove the chicken from the pot with a slotted spoon (you’ll add it back later). Now add the onion to the same pot and fry over medium heat until soft. Add the garlic and fry for another minute, then add the stock and milk and bring to a simmer. Add the pasta, stir, put a lid on (keep a small gap open to prevent the liquid from boiling over the edges) and cook for about 8-10 minutes until almost al dente, stirring every now and then (it should still be a little firm).
Add the browned chicken back to the pot, plus the broccoli, and stir. Cook for another 2-3 minutes, then turn off the heat. Add the cheese and stir briefly until just melted. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
Serve at once, optionally topped with small crispy croutons*.
*To make small croutons: Cut 2 slices of good quality bread like sour dough loaf into very small cubes. Add it to a pan with a splash of olive oil, salt & pepper, and optionally a few fresh thyme leaves. Fry until golden, then set aside to cool.
Recipe and image courtesy of The Food Fox.