For this week’s recipe, we’ve decided to share this delicious soft pretzel recipe in preparation of International Pretzel Day. Yep you read that right, even this delicious baked good has its own day now, which takes place on April the 26th. We can’t exactly blame whoever decided to set a date exclusively for pretzels, as this baked good surely is tasty and so is this recipe!
for 8 servings
1 ½ cups water(360 mL), warm
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 packet active dry yeast
4 ½ cups flour(565 g)
3 tablespoons oil, divided
⅔ cup baking soda(120 g)
2 eggs, beaten
- In a bowl, mix water, salt, and sugar until combined. Add yeast, and let rest 5 minutes until yeast starts to foam.
- Add flour and 2 tablespoons of oil, and mix thoroughly until a dough forms.
- Remove the dough and use the remaining oil to cover the bowl.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap, and leave in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C).
- Cut dough into 8 pieces and roll them out into thin ropes, twisting the two ends to form a pretzel shape.
- Add baking soda to a large pot of water, and bring to a rolling boil. Boil each pretzel for 30 seconds per side.
- Transfer pretzels to a baking sheet, brush with egg wash, and sprinkle with salt. Bake for 10-15 minutes, until golden brown.