- 1/2 teaspoon each: fennel seeds, cumin seeds, caraway seeds
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, rough chopped
- 500g lamb
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 400g tinned tomatoes ( and juices) , diced
- 1/4 cup water, more as needed
- 2 cups chopped spinach ( fresh, or use one cup frozen)
- 6 eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
Garnish: chilli flakes, cilantro leaves and harissa yogurt
- Preheat oven to 195°C
- Over medium heat, in a dry skillet toast the whole spices for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant and golden. Set aside.
- Heat oil in the skillet, over medium heat and add the onion, garlic and ground lamb, breaking it apart and saute until the lamb is cooked through ( about 8 minutes) While it is sauteing add the salt, spices and whole spices. Add the tomatoes, spinach and water, cover and simmer on low heat for 10 minutes.
- Taste the stew and adjust the salt or spice level to your liking. If it seems dry add a little more water so it’s a little juicy and still warm.
- Make six “wells” into the stew with a back of a spoon ( see photo) and crack the eggs into the wells. Sprinkle eggs with salt and pepper and place in the oven.
- Bake 7-10 minutes, or until the egg whites are cooked through and opaque, but the yolks are still soft.
- While this is baking, you can add a curry paste mixed with Greek yoghurt/sambal mixed with Greek yoghurt/tzatziki to serve on the side ( or spoon over top).
- Garnish with the cilantro and sprinkle with chilli flakes.