- 1 1/2 cup canned coconut milk
- 1/2 cup additional coconut milk OR milk of choice
- 1/4 cup sweetener of choice, such as sugar or maple syrup
- pinch stevia or 1 additional tbsp sweetener of choice
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- optional ingredients for desired flavour
*Be sure to use full-fat canned coconut milk, not lite or coconut milk beverage. Sweeteners that work include pure maple syrup, regular sugar, coconut sugar, honey, agave, brown sugar, or xylitol for a sugar-free ice cream.
Stir all ingredients (minus optional add-ins) together in a bowl. If you have an ice cream maker, simply transfer the mixture to your ice cream maker and churn according to manufacturer’s directions for your specific machine. If you don’t have an ice cream maker, you can freeze the mixture in ice cube trays, then blend the frozen ice cubes in a high-speed blender. Either eat the ice cream straight from the machine or freeze a few hours for a firmer texture. While homemade ice cream is best the day it is made, you can technically keep it frozen for up to a few weeks and thaw before eating.