For the Brioche-Bread Pudding
2 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted, plus more for pan
2 c. whole milk
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/3 c. granulated sugar
Pinch kosher salt
4 large eggs, beaten
1 brioche, cut into 1 3 cubes
For Bourbon-Caramel Sauce
1 c. granulated sugar
1/4 tsp. fresh lemon juice
4 tbsp. unsalted butter, cut up
1 c. heavy cream
2 tbsp. bourbon
1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- Prepare bread pudding: Butter a baking dish.
- In medium bowl, whisk together milk, melted butter, vanilla, sugar and salt. Whisk in eggs to combine. Add bread and toss to coat, then transfer to prepared dish and let sit 30 minutes.
- Fifteen minutes before baking, heat oven to 176°C. Bake until custard is set and edges of bread have browned, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare bourbon-caramel sauce: In medium saucepan, combine sugar, lemon juice and 1/4 cup water. Bring to a boil on medium-high, stirring with wooden spoon, and cook until sugar becomes thick and dark amber in color, 10 to 14 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in butter, then carefully add cream, bourbon and vanilla (mixture will bubble vigorously) and stir until fully blended.
- Return pan to heat and cook until sauce is thick enough to lightly coat back of spoon, about 10 minutes more. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Serve over bread pudding.